Pages

Monday

Monday Thoughts...



I just finished a very interesting article on Polio in Manitoba. It actually lasted there for almost 25 years--from 1928 to 1953!


The cures proposed varied from gamma globulin research, blood serums, nose sprays (which often turned your nose yellow), and nursing therapies.


Just a thought from the article:


There was a nursing shortage in the last part of the epidemic because many nurses were either scared to work with "contagious" polio patients, or they didn't want to work the strenuous schedule. Power outages were often (mostly in the winter, I'm guessing) and THREE nurses were needed to manually operate ONE iron lung. Also, the iron lung patient (someone with bulbar polio [1953 polio that attacked the brain, spinal cord, and respiratory system]) was never allowed out of the iron lung until they had recovered enough to breath on their own. Nurses had to reach inside four little holes in the machine to wash the patients' bodies as well as they could.

This was the part I found most interesting, because of the book I read for school about five years ago. In the book, the main character's brother has bulbar polio and must stay in an iron lung. I'll Watch the Moon is a great read by Ann Tatlock, as well as the rest of her books. I have read A Room of My Own, I'll Watch the Moon, and The Returning.


I wrote an article about the virus, but I can't share it because I'm afraid my instructor might find it and think I stole it offline. It would probably bore you to tears, but I found it interesting.


~~~~~~


Yesterday, we went to White Top mountain and walked around. We found mushrooms and salamanders and plan on hiking the mountain again next weekend.


And this is my verse for right now:


1 Tim 2:1-6



"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and
thanksgiving be made for everyone--for kings and all those in authority, that we
may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is
good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a
knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God
and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all me--the
testimony given in its proper time."




~~~~~~
Have you heard of Noise Trade? I found all these great Cds there for Free!



What is free now will expire from the website in the future, so get it while you can. About 1/3 of my iTunes is from NoiseTrade.
I've also found a few Christmas Albums, so watch for those too!

No comments: